Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Running up the score/padding stats

When I was in soccer in High school, we were top three in the state. Those were good times.
I was looking over my yearbook at some of the scores we had against the weaker teams. I am sad to say they were within one or two goals of double digits, and a few were over that mark. I don't know why we did it, other than we could, and passing around the other team does get a bit boring after a while. Yes, we did move people around and get the subs a lot more experience.
Looking back to those days from my more mature age and greater experiences in life gives me moment to reflect.
Why do i feel the need to do this? Well, I coach the local high school girls soccer team now. We are the bottom. The "Clover Park" of my high school days. We practice hard and work to improve the skills of the players, but they are no match for girls who play competitive soccer year round. So I am now on the other side of the 10-nil score. It is HARD. It is hard to keep going when you know EVERY game the victories are to keep them from scoring for longer than 25 min. or to string 4 passes together, or to just be first to the ball. We have to look at the game differently than the other coaches. We can't look at the scoreboard for our victories. We pass that along to the girls, they need to know what they are doing is still an improvement.
Here's to looking to next year in 4A.

1 comment:

Strong said...

I'm so proud of you and your girls for hanging in there. I think they are learning life long lessons. One day they will be looking back at their year book and thinking "hang in there, I lived though those hard soccer years"..... :)